Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Begin It Now

Every once in a while, you come across a quote that just pops you between the eyes, bonks you on the head, sends chills up some part of your body, fills your insides with some sort of inspiration, or any combination of the above--then makes you just want to act right then and there to do something monumental.  That's what happened to me in mid-August 1992.

I was discussing a little bit of everyday life with an associate.  I worked at a place called Aristocrat Printing & Design in Tucson, Arizona.  She worked at Alpha Graphics.  Our shop often did specialty work for her shop and I was called upon to consult with her on various projects.  We became rather decent friends, as work friends go. 

And so it happened that one day, she brought me a quote that she liked.  I started to read it, having no forethought as to its content.



I was floored.  I nearly cried, but held my tears until I was alone.  She never would have understood my emotion. 

At the time, I had been working for over 13 years in the printing industry, and while it afforded me a decent living (much better than minimum wage, anyway), I was enormously dissatisfied.  The vocation had never helped me to get ahead financially, nor did my work help me to feel that I made one iota of real difference in the world.  I knew that I needed to make changes in my life; still, I felt nearly paralyzed by my habitual servitude to that life.

Upon reading this quote by Goethe, however, I immediately received strength to pursue a different life's path.  Thoughts flooded my mind, focused on the idea of completing my degree, that I might do something more with the gifts God had given me.  The feeling was intense, the direction unmistakably divine in its origin, and the confidence offered that all financial concerns would indeed work out truly did surpass all understanding. 

Just over three months later, I quit my job, enrolled in college full-time beginning with the Spring 1993 term, and renewed my journey towards completing my Bachelor of Arts in Communication.  I had no idea in advance as to how in the world this would all come together, but I put my full self into motion anyway.  I truly did commit myself to following through with my decision, despite my inability to foresee the future, and despite all the varied fears and realities of life that had stagnated my progression during former years. 

I had already earned nearly 60 disjointed credit hours by that time, but they counted for little when all was said and done, so that I had to start college nearly from scratch.  Nonetheless, three years after my decision to renew my educational journey, I graduated from the University of Arizona, Magna Cum Laude, in Spring 1996. 

Never once during that time did I fear for my financial sustenance, nor did I have cause to concern myself.  "All manner of unforseen assistance and meetings and material assistance" did indeed present themselves.  Naturally, I did pursue and was granted loans, but even these by themselves would not have been enough to cover my school and living expenses for three years.  In addition to these loans, a few modest grants and scholarships were obtained.  Summer jobs in my printing vocation paid nicely.  I received an insurance settlement after having been painfully rear-ended (not the best way to take care of business, but it surely did help).  My mom, whom I had been previously supporting after an emergency move from California, finally won her disability suit against the Social Security Administration (and before a judge who was known to be unsympathetic in such cases), which then allowed her to reimburse funds I had already expended on her behalf the previous year.  And finally, my roommate generously charged me a paltry $150/mo for rent and utilities for the entire period of my schooling endeavor.

To my great pleasure, temporal salvation, and spiritual satisfaction, the sea had spread its walls before me, allowing me to travel to the other side upon dry ground.  Providence--meaning God--moved on my behalf, because I moved first.  I acted in faith.  I did something.  I commited myself to a decision, feeling the strength of the Lord behind me, and I moved. 

Truly, that one pivotal decision made all the difference in the world for me, and I suspect for a few others as well.  It is surely good to remember these things.

King Benjamin stated, "see that all these things are done in wisdom and order" (Mosiah 4:27).  But, let them be done!  Pursue dreams!  Be bold!  Receive genius and power!  Begin it now!

3 comments:

the Marvelous Mrs. M said...

Love it! Thanks for the inspirational message; it's important to be bold at times and make a change but then it takes hard work, patience, and dedication to see that change through. We should get together for lunch some time :)

Reflections of Heart said...

Thanks for sharing your life-changing experience that came to be from such a quote! Inspiring indeed! Daring to dream, turning them into goals and then "going for it". It all sounds so simple. I guess when we take it one step at a time then we can conquer all and truly "begin now". I love it!
Jen

Anonymous said...

Wonderful advice. I'm happy it worked out for you. Great tunes by the way... :)