Monday, June 14, 2010

After the Murmuring

In 1993, and while living in Tucson, Arizona, I was asked to work with the Young Women of the Church for the first time; specifically, the Laurels (ages 16-18).  It floors me now to have even considered it, but at the time, I really did not want that assignment!  In retrospect, I can't help but laugh and become a little misty-eyed, too, as I skate along my memory banks, reliving some of my experiences with this blessed group of girls.  As it turned out, this period of my life was to become one of my most favored, cherished, and sustainingly joyful seasons.  Funny, isn't it, that our views of so-called uninspired "mistakes" that leaders make at times culminate to land for our souls our grandest blessings?

My girls during this initial introductory time to the Young Women's program included: Andrea Greenwood, Michele Anglin, Heidi Luke, Heidi Martin, Sara Offen, Jaime Smith, Susannah Rexroat, Marisa Henderson, Jennifer Clark, Cassie Meadows, Joanna White, Julianna Smith, and Melanie Raehl.  Did I get everyone?  Well, one of these gals will remind me if I left out someone.

I'm laughing again.  I just wish I could recapture, for example, the craziness of Sara and Jaime, acting like foreign exchange students (or as a blind student) on the public bus.  We sure had some tender and tough times, too.   All in all, though, our shared experiences brought us about as close as a leader can be to any one group of girls.  I owe it all to them, too. 

Well, with that introduction, the following is a journal entry of mine that illustrates the struggle I experienced in letting go of one church calling to assume the responsibilities of another.  Perhaps only my former Young Women will be interested enough to read these pages.  I'm fine with that.  Not everyone can handle my verbosity.

CLICK EACH IMAGE TO ENLARGE.






To the Young Women mentioned above, and others whom I haven't mentioned, I offer an extreme debt of gratitude.  Oft-times, when I have trembled with certain doubts that have weighed upon my heart, I have been brought back to the relationships we enjoy, one with another.  Truly, I have been unalterably changed and repeatedly sustained because of my bond to each of you.  And to think that, in the beginning, I murmured.  Now, all I can seem to do is cry out in gratitude.

God bless your lives for the ways that you changed mine.  I love you all.

9 comments:

the Marvelous Mrs. M said...

I love journals! I especially liked seeing how the beginning of your entry is so similar to so many of my own: an admission of slacking off and promise to do better ;) I am grateful to have been a beneficiary of all your love, devotion, and service during that time and am so glad that you trusted in the Lord and in your leaders enough to accept the call even though your gut was to question it. You were, indeed, an exceptional leader, teacher, and coach :) Love ya! Oh, and you forgot to list Michelle Anglin.

Skinhorse said...

Man! Michele! Well, she is now first in the list of you gals, as a peace offering of sorts.

Thanks for your sweet comments, Marisa. You know how I feel about you and your family. Such continuing joy you send my way...even after all these years.

Skinhorse said...

And...Andrea Greenwood! Another one moves to the front of the line. Give those girls some heart stickers!

riomuse said...

you're the best! thanks for sharing your specialness with me. ;)

Patsy said...

As a parent, I want to thank you for the time and love you gave those girls!!! You are a special person to begin with, but your service to the Lord is an example we can all follow.

What lucky girls!

Love ya!

Skinhorse said...

Patsy, you have no idea what your comment means to me. I appreciate it immensely. Major hugz to you and the rest of your lovely family.

Clarisa said...

well, you sure had me fooled. i always thought that calling would be awesome because of the way i saw you bond so close with those girls. indeed, i had lincoln park yw envy. don't get me wrong, i loved my own ward very much but you and those yw sure did inspire me enough to want to double up on church time and go to your ward too! i'm so glad you put your heart into it. those girls of yours are wonders and you were part of that process.

Skinhorse said...

Clarisa...Awwwwwww!...I had no idea you felt that way. Too funny. I also wished back then that you were one of "my" young women, so it makes me smile to think you thought about pulling double-duty. As for my bond with those girls, THEY were the ones who made it all so possible. They were easy to love because they made a space in their hearts for me in the first place. That made all the difference.

Sara H said...

Okay, I'm terribly late in this conversation, but I wanted also to add my gratitude for your friendship and guidance during that time of my life. I remember when you were called to YW and I was like "YES!" because I knew we were getting a wonderful woman as our adviser! :) I love you!!! :)