Sunday, April 12, 2009

A Better Resurrection



Talk given by
Jacqueline J. Hancock,
Beverly Ward
Sacrament Meeting,
Easter Sunday - April 12, 2009



The Apostle Paul taught, "If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable."1
I believe what he was saying here is that, if we look to Christ only for our daily bread, then we miss the greater point – even the promise – of Him being the "Bread of Life." Jesus himself attested, "I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst."2

This Bread of Life spoke at length of his gift of resurrection, though the people understood him not. Five days before his final Passover supper, before he would become The Passover himself, Jesus the Christ spoke these words about his resurrection, and our resurrection because of him: "Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit."3

The Resurrection is:
* A life- and death-altering event and experience.
* Based on eternal law and sacrifice.
* Given to all mankind as an unconditional gift, regardless of whether we be good, or whether we be evil.4

We will all live again, and live forever in an immortal state, because of the gift of the Bread of Life. So, truly, "If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable."5

But, let us not forget to enjoy our daily bread!

If I may borrow again from Paul (taking license to change a couple of words and propose a junior theory of my own), "If in the NEXT life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men and women, most miserable."

While in this mortal frame, there’s a lot about life that I don’t think I’ll ever quite understand, ever be able to explain, or ever find solace enough to help meet and overcome all the injustices, the blows to the guts, and heavy sighs. Gratefully, I do know such a time will eventually come, when through spiritual eyes, ALL will be discerned, causing the final sigh to, at last, breathe in new life and light. Still, while in this life, I hope for better days, better circumstances, better health, better relationships, and better chances to make meaningful contributions so as to comprehend my purpose or purposes.

The scriptures are also replete with references to things that are better. Here are a few:

"For the law made nothing perfect, but the bringing in of a better hope did; by the which we draw nigh unto God."6

" . . . [Christ] is the mediator of a better covenant, which was established upon better promises."7

" . . . ye have in heaven a better and an enduring substance."8

" . . . they desire a better country, that is, an heavenly."9

"And now I say, is there not a type in this thing? For just as surely as this director did bring our fathers, by following its course, to the promised land, shall the words of Christ, if we follow their course, carry us beyond this vale of sorrow into a far better land of promise."10

In addition to these, there is a favorite passage of mine found in Hebrews 11. This entire chapter deals with the subject of faith, beginning in verse 1 with its definition. It goes on to describe exemplars of faith through the ages, including Abel, Enoch, Noah, Abraham, Sara, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, and Moses. The walls of Jericho were brought down by faith extended. And even the harlot Rahab - a prostitute, of all people – is included here because of her great faith.

(Starting now in Hebrews 11:32): "And what shall I more say? for the time would fail me to tell of Gedeon, and of Barak, and of Samson, and of Jephthae; of David also, and Samuel, and of the prophets . . . "

And what shall I more say? For the time would fail me to tell of Juanita Wagner, and Marguerite Payne, and Tom Wright, and Garth Lamoreux, and Jill Lawlor, and Kathleen Whipple, and Sheryl Allred, and Nick Nelson, and Terrie Wood, and Juanita Svedi, and Katy Cochran:

". . . Who through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions,
"Quenched the violence of fire, escaped the edge of the sword, out of weakness were made strong, waxed valiant in fight, turned to flight the armies of the aliens.
". . . And others had trial of cruel mockings and scourgings, yea, moreover of bonds and imprisonment . . .
". . . Women received their dead raised to life again: and others were tortured, not accepting deliverance; that they might obtain a better resurrection . . . ."11

"Wherefore, whoso believeth in God might with surety hope for a better world, yea, even a place at the right hand of God, which hope cometh of faith, maketh an anchor to the souls of men, which would make them sure and steadfast, always abounding in good works, being led to glorify God."12

Thus, it is FAITH that leads us to a better resurrection; meaning a better, immortal – even eternal life – because it first leads us through a better mortal life!

Our lives there reflect our lives here. Some may say, "Oh! Well, then! There is no hope for me, for I stink here!" And, here’s where our true hope in Christ comes in. As taught by James E. Faust, "All of us have made wrong turns along the way. I believe the kind and merciful God, whose children we are, will judge us as lightly as He can for the wrongs that we have done and give us the maximum blessing for the good that we do."13

But, let us not take for granted the many gifts extended to us through, and because of, the Atonement of our Savior. Make no mistake: we must reverence Christ’s faith by extending our own. We do this when we strive to be, or to become, better in our obedience and abandonment of sin; in our willingness to love (and be loved); in our repentance; in our forgiveness of another’s wrongs; in forgiving ourselves when Christ has done the same, or when it seems that he would forgive – if we would only allow him to do so.

In short, when we strive to be or become a better disciple of Christ, then will our hope in Christ increase, both in this world and in the world to come, where ours will be a better resurrection.

In 2003, I was in Nauvoo, Illinois. I traveled there to complete temple ordinances on June 27th for my mother who had died exactly one year before. This day also marked the one-year anniversary of the restoration and opening of the Nauvoo Temple, as well as the death of Joseph Smith. Referencing the period immediately following the martyrdom of Joseph, I recorded the following in my journal:

"I do not think that I would have enjoyed living 159 years ago. I wonder what my own faith would have been like then. Would I have stayed and helped to carry the collective load of the Saints at that time? I would like to think so. I would hope that my resilience and desire for a better cause – and better resurrection – would enliven the best within me to overcome the temporary trials given in the heat of the day. I can hope for no less of myself now, either.

"It is time to resurrect that hope that is within me, to invite the Spirit to strengthen the bands of my own faith in Christ, and to trust in his purposes for me. I cannot see his plans for me. I do not understand all his ways. I cannot possibly know of his power – his ability to intercede on my behalf and cause even the shackles of hell that ever chase after me to loosen and fall away.

"Though I cannot, or do not, see the full power of the Lord’s love in my little life . . . I am so much more filled with courage and determination to be more faithful. I trust all the more, too, that the Atonement will help to see me through the most difficult of times and grant me clarity of vision enough to remain in my place – though the future presented before me may be covered with a thick veil."14

May we each resurrect the divinity within us today – this Easter morn’ – that we may pass through the veil, whispering as we go, because our hearts are that tender and that swollen with joy, that we might obtain a better resurrection. This is my hope. May it be your hope as well. In the sacred name of our only True Hope, the Bread of Life – even our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ – Amen.


FOOTNOTES:
1. 1 Corinthians 15:19
2. John 6:35
3. John 12:24
4. 1 Corinthians 15:22
5. 1 Corinthians 15:19
6. Hebrews 7:19
7. Hebrews 8:6
8. Hebrews 10:34
9. Hebrews 11:16
10. Alma 37:45
11. Hebrews 11:32-36 (verses 35 and 36 transposed, for emphasis)
12. Ether 12:4
13. James E. Faust, Ensign, Nov. 1996, p. 53.
14. Journal entry of Jacqueline J. Hancock, dated June 29, 2003.

2 comments:

Rogers Family said...

I just can't get over how awesome you are. It's been so long since we've been in touch like this and you haven't changed a bit. This would have been a great talk to hear you give. I'm sure the spirit was very strong there. You are so wonderful. Thanks again for sharing this with me and everyone else who needed to hear it.

Jill said...

Thanks, Jacki. I missed church again today, headache and anxiety attack. Crowds scare me at the moment. Austin mentioned your talk was wonderful, and that you mentioned my name! I'm glad I could read in what context it was used. :) I just finished telling Austin what an admirable woman you are and how I've always looked up to you. I'll be stalking your blog on a regular basis, now! MWAAA HAA HAA HAA!!