Thursday, April 9, 2009

Wait . . . I will show you something – The Miracle of the Three Trees


As told by Jeanie McAllister in A Singular Life.

One of my favorite stories about miracles is of three young trees who lived together on a hillside. They often talked about what each would like to be when he grew up.

One said, "Babies are the sweetest things in the world. should like to be a baby's cradle."

The second spoke, "That would not please me at all. I should like to be a great ship so I might cross many waters and carry cargoes of gold."

The third tree stood off by himself in deep reflection. "Have you no dream for the future?" asked the others.

"No dream," he answered, "except to stay on this hillside and point men to God. What could a tree do better than that?"

Years passed, and the three small trees grew up to be tall and beautiful. One day men came to the hillside and cut down the first tree. But he was not made into a cradle. Instead he was hewn into rough pieces and carelessly put together to form a manger. "This is not what I planned to be," he sobbed heartbrokenly. "Shoved into this dark stable with no one but the cattle."

But Heavenly Father, who loves trees, whispered, "Wait. I will show you something." And he did.

For one night when God's Only Begotten Son was born, he was wrapped in swaddling clothes and laid in the manger. The manger quivered with delight. "In all my dreams I never thought to hold a baby like this," he said. "Why, I am part of a miracle. Truly, this is better than all my planning."

Years passed. And men came to the hillside and cut down the second tree. But he was not made into a great sailing vessel. Instead he became a tiny fishing boat owned by a man named Peter. "To think that my life has come to this," he complained unhappily. "Just a fishing boat."

But Heavenly Father, who loves trees, whispered, "Wait. I will show you something." And he did.

For one day on the Lake of Gennesaret, Jesus sat in the little boat and spoke to the multitude on the shore. He spoke words of such wisdom and light that the little boat listened eagerly. "Why, I am part of a miracle," he whispered, his heart full of wonder. "In all my dreams I never thought to carry a cargo like this. Truly, this is better than all my planning."

Months went by, and men came to the hillside to cut down the third tree. "I don't want to go into the valley," he wept, as the axe cut into his heart. But the men tore away his branches, hewed him apart, and fashioned his pieces into a crude cross. "This is terrible," he quivered. "They are going to hang someone. Oh, I never wanted this to happen to me. I only wanted to stand on the hillside and point men to God."

But Heavenly Father, who loves trees, whispered, "Wait. I will show you something." And he did.

For one day Jesus took up his cross and was led to a place called Golgotha where he was crucified between two thieves. Afterwards, his body was laid in a tomb. But at dawn on the third day when Mary Magdalene and the others came to the sepulchre, an angel met them, saying, "He is not here: for he is risen, as he said." (Matthew 28:6.)

And the cross began to understand. "Why, I am part of a miracle," he marveled. "Jesus' great mission was to give his life so that all who have ever lived on earth can one day return to God and live with him again. In all my dreams I never thought to point men to God in this way. Truly this is better than all my planning."

========

SKINHORSE:
Each of us is attended by a host of difficulties that seem to do their utmost best to overcome us. Sometimes, they do. At least for me, when a few long days come my way, they are often joined by a few long nights as well. During these periods, I am tempted to give up and give in, rather than wait for God’s intended miracles to unfold: those of light, life, love, and learning.

I sometimes question, What is the purpose in all of this? What is
my purpose? At these moments--and when I can remember to do so--I try to envision the tender embrace of a loving heavenly father, holding me close to His chest, stroking my hair a little, and softly whispering in my ear, "Wait . . . I will show you something."

So, I do. And he does!

Whether envisioned or real, that little whisper gives me strength and courage enough to view and act upon my circumstances a little differently. And, I find hope enough to press on in my journey with a fuller expectation that, in God’s own way, and in His own time, all will be revealed . . . including the wondrous variety of His miraculous expressions in my life. In your life. In our lives together.


Wait . . .
Wait . . .
Wait . . .

Allow Him to show you something.

2 comments:

Rogers Family said...

Thanks for the uplifting story. I remember hearing it once or twice before, but couldn't remember all of the details.

Terrie said...

I really needed to read this story today. thanks